When selecting your home builder for custom home designs, you should determine what you value and decide what’s most important: Quality, Service, Speed or Price. Of course, you want all four components but most often you will need to find a builder who can provide three out of four, that’s reality.
Is it reasonable to expect that you’ll get a builder who will give you the lowest price with great quality, great service, and a timely finish? Let’s consider the merits of each:
- Quality: A good company prides itself on providing a quality product, especially in the custom home market. They encourage prospective homeowners to look closely at the work they’ve done for other homeowners and affirm they would be pleased with the excellent workmanship the company provides. Comfort with quality, luxury with outstanding craftsmanship.
- Service: A builder with exceptional customer care will provide good communication and attend to the homeowner’s needs before, during, and after their home is completed.
- Speed: An on-time finish is important, but there may be times, especially in a busy market, when a builder misses some deadlines. If that happens, you want your builder to proactively communicate with you and, if possible, find a way to make up the time and get it done quickly.
- Price: The best companies aren’t usually the cheapest, but consider this: they’re probably not the most expensive either. Great companies deliver good value. An honest builder charges at or below market value for the level of service and quality product they provide. Very seldom is the cheapest price the best choice for a home builder.
- Don’t make the mistake of thinking you can have all four qualities in one builder. A Lexus or a Mercedes is priced differently than a Ford. If you pay Ford pricing and expect Mercedes level of performance, you are setting yourself up for disappointment, conflict, and sometimes even a lawsuit.
- Know what’s important to you and adjust your expectations. If cost is your most important value, then choose the contract with the lowest price. However, if you value quality, be sure you look for excellent workmanship. You can get the results you want in a quality custom home; just be sure to select your builder based on what you truly value. Remember you don’t need to go any further than Ison Homes if you are looking for custom home designs